[Winpcap-users] multi-NICs with the same name in Win98

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Fri Nov 3 16:23:16 GMT 2006

This is a known problem with WinPcap on windows 9x systems.

The only workaround is manually modify some keys in the registry to have
unique adapter names.

    a. open the registry(regedit.exe)
    b. go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Class/Net
    c. you will find some folders named 0000,0001,0002...; each one
corresponds
       to a network device.
       each of these folders has a subfolder named NDIS, which contains
       a key named "LogDriverName": it contains the names of the adapters,
       as shown by winpcap. Locate the two 0000/0001/....  folders of the
       adapters with the same name in winpcap, and change the LogDriverName
of
       one of them (for example from "rtl8029" to "rtl8029-b").
    d. close regedit and reboot.

This procedure should work (on my machine it does), HOWEVER, I do *not* take
any responsibility for this operation. Handling Windows registry is always a
possibly dangerous operation.