[Winpcap-users] WinPcap 4 Beta to Stable date

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Nov 21 16:39:02 GMT 2006

George,

we are planning to have a new beta within a couple of weeks, and then have WinPcap 4.0 stable in mid-january, in any case no later than end of january.

The new beta (beta3) will contain some bug fixes related to AirPcap support, better support for Vista, and a major "polishing" of packet.dll. This last task was carried on to guarantee an easier maintenance of the code and have a more coherent tracing system for this DLL.

Moreover, starting from this new beta, we will completely drop support for Windows 9x/ME. The latest version supporting Win9x/ME will be WinPcap 3.1 (stable) or WinPcap 4.0beta2 (unstable).

In general we determine when a beta goes stable from a number of factors, among which feedback from the users and features and fixes that we want to push into WinPcap (e.g. the support for AirPcap adapters that was added this summer). For example, the main reason for this beta3 is basically the "polishing operation" in packet.dll, that could have introduced some minor bugs and glitches.

Related to Vista, I don't know exactly what you mean "Vista reviews". I know there are already users playing with WinPcap on Vista, and no specific problems have been reported on this platform. The major headache so far is that NetMon (the Microsoft network sniffer component) is not shipped as part of Vista, so WinPcap is not able to sniff on dialup and VPN connections on this new release of the OS.

I hope this answers your questions.