[Winpcap-users] WinPcap 4 Beta to Stable date

George S. Lockwood gslockwood at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:12:35 GMT 2006

Thanks Gianluca!

Yes it does answer my question.

The only feedback I have is that 4.0 seems to handle the case where a NIC is
disabled or removed from a system while winpcap is using it (3.1 results in
a BSoD).

RE: Vista Reviews.  That just meant how is WinPCap working on Vista boxes?
Your answer seems that it works fairly well, the NetMon issue aside.

I believe I tried installing the wpa_supplicant with winpcap onto a Vista
system and an error appeared when -I suspect- Winpcap was trying to load.
BUT I'm not positive it was a 4.0 version or 3.1....I'll try 4.0 for sure
and see what happens.

Thanks so much!

george

On 11/21/06, Gianluca Varenni <gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com> wrote:

> George,
>
> we are planning to have a new beta within a couple of weeks,  and then
have WinPcap 4.0 stable in mid-january, in any case no later than end  of
january.

> The new beta (beta3) will contain some bug fixes related to  AirPcap
support, better support for Vista, and a major "polishing" of  packet.dll.
This last task was carried on to guarantee an easier maintenance of  the
code and have a more coherent tracing system for this DLL.

> Moreover, starting from this new beta, we will completely drop  support
for Windows 9x/ME. The latest version supporting Win9x/ME will be  WinPcap
3.1 (stable) or WinPcap 4.0beta2 (unstable).

> In general we determine when a beta goes stable from a number  of factors,
among which feedback from the users and features and fixes that we  want to
push into WinPcap (e.g. the support for AirPcap adapters that was
added  this summer). For example, the main reason for this beta3 is
basically the  "polishing operation" in packet.dll, that could have
introduced some minor bugs  and glitches.

> Related to Vista, I don't know exactly what you mean "Vista  reviews". I
know there are already users playing with WinPcap on Vista, and no  specific
problems have been reported on this platform. The major headache so far  is
that NetMon (the Microsoft network sniffer component) is not shipped
as  part of Vista, so WinPcap is not able to sniff on dialup and
VPN  connections on this new release of the OS.