[Winpcap-users] no upgrade possible without freezes

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 11 22:56:13 GMT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 3:07 PM, 1603 at gmx.de wrote:

> I see. Do you have a guess then? In the history there was no mention
> of anything else that could be causing this that I could see.

In what history?  In the Changelog:

	http://www.winpcap.org/misc/changelog.htm

there's no item for b5, just an item for the final release, and it has
a "Bug fixing" section that includes some driver changes and a "Minor
fixes" item; it's possible that those bug fixes might cause problems
with, for example, your firewall software.

> Every version of WinPCap after v3.1 beta 4 is
> showing the problem even with Ethereal v0.10.12 (which is working with
> WinPCap v3.1/b4), and every version of Etherall after v0.10.12 is
> showing the problem even with WinPCap v3.1/b4. The change in question
> must have occured between v3.1/b4 and beta 5. Since Ethereal also uses
> libpcap, I thought this might be a pretty good guess.
>
> Versions before that (of both programs) used to work fine in every
> combination I happened to use, too. I haven't checked them again now.

Ethereal might have used libpcap in a different fashion after 0.10.12,
and those changes might cause different kernel code paths to be
exercised.