[Winpcap-users] no upgrade possible without freezes

1603 at gmx.de 1603 at gmx.de
Wed Oct 11 22:07:53 GMT 2006

Hi Guy,

>> I read that WinPCap changed the used version of libcap between v3.1/b4
>> and /b5. Is this likely to be the problem
GH> No.  The libpcap code is sufficiently high above the kernel-mode code
GH> (which is what's wedging up, if you have *that* much of a freeze) that
GH> it's extremely unlikely to be causing such a problem.

I see. Do you have a guess then? In the history there was no mention
of anything else that could be causing this that I could see.

GH> WinPcap 3.1 has been out of beta for quite a while.  The current
GH> release of WinPcap isn't the "next beta", it's the final 3.1 release;

I know that, of course. Every version of WinPCap after v3.1 beta 4 is
showing the problem even with Ethereal v0.10.12 (which is working with
WinPCap v3.1/b4), and every version of Etherall after v0.10.12 is
showing the problem even with WinPCap v3.1/b4. The change in question
must have occured between v3.1/b4 and beta 5. Since Ethereal also uses
libpcap, I thought this might be a pretty good guess.

Versions before that (of both programs) used to work fine in every
combination I happened to use, too. I haven't checked them again now.

GH> the current beta release of WinPcap is 4.0 beta 1, not 3.1 beta
GH> anything.  Have you tried the final 3.1 release?  If that doesn't
GH> work, have you tried 4.0 beta 1?

I tried both, the problem remains. I was hoping this would be a known
- and fixed - bug for the newer versions, so I checked them as soon as
they became available.

--
MfG,
 1603                            mailto:Alto at treadstone79.de