[Winpcap-users] pcap_open_offline returns "bad dump file format".

Narayanasamy, Raja M raja.m.narayanasamy at intel.com
Tue Apr 3 22:59:02 GMT 2007

Hi,

     I wrote a simple application using the WinPcap developer pack 4.0
API. The application uses pcap_open_offline() API call  to open the
.pcap file and subsequently it uses other pcap API to collect all packet
details.  My application works fine with all .pcap files captured using
ethereal.

But when I run my application with .pcap file captured using NetOptics
hardware sniffer,  the pcap_open_offline() API fails with an error text
saying "bad dump file format".

Ethereal software can successfully open the same .pcap file my
application fails to open.

I did some search on internet/old archives and could not find any answer
to this issue.

Please let me know your experience and I appreciate your help.

Warm Regards
Raja