[Winpcap-users] PCAP_OPENFLAG_PROMISCUOUS mode

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Fri Aug 31 08:56:58 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <ceo at triplebit.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:55 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] PCAP_OPENFLAG_PROMISCUOUS mode

>I have 2 questions which I beleive addresses also many other users-
> 1. I need to open the card with minimum time waisting on the processing.
> The driver should capture only incoming tcp packets. I know how to filter
> but is there any significanse regarding the flag like
> PCAP_OPENFLAG_PROMISCUOUS on the time consuming during the processing?

When the card is in promiscuous mode it will report all the packets flowing
on the wire, not just the packets directed to the machine. If you are
interested in local packets only (i.e. packets transmitted and received by
your machine) don't use promiscuous mode.

> 2. In my application I want my software to select automatically the lan
> card - probably by sniffing itslef and see where is actual data, and than
> select it for capture. Is there any reference to that?

There's no way to automatically select the LAN interface, you need to create
some custom code for it considering that
1. a PC can have multiple LAN cards (most of my machines on my desk have
more than one)
2. a PC can have NO LAN cards at all.

Hope it helps
GV