[Winpcap-users] Global port filter

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Dec 18 23:41:29 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Abhi" <acoknight at yahoo.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:33 PM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] Global port filter

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to modify wpcap to have a filter for certain ports only no
> matter what other filter is requested. The reason behind is an app which I
> cannot modify and which receives all captured traffic. I am trying to
> limit this traffic to certain ports eg using a filter "tcp portrange
> 2000-3000".
> I tried editing pcap_open and pcap_setfilter by adding pcap_compile and
> setting this filter, but it's still capturing everything.
> How could I go about adding a filter which would be in effect ignoring
> other filters requested?

You probably want to modify pcap_compile so that it appends the string "and
tcp portrange 2000-3000" to all the filters that need to be compiled. This
works if the application compiles a filter. Be careful because the empty
string "" is a valid filter. In addition, I would add a
pcap_compile/pcap_setfilter to the code of pcap_open_live, so that the
global port filter is effective even if the application doesn't set a filter
explicitely with pcap_setfilter.