[Winpcap-users] Losing link hangs the application

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Feb 28 02:34:53 GMT 2007

Eli,

(un)fortunately there were several modifications to the driver to better handle cable and board removal that could cause weird problems and crashes (BSODs).

Do you know exactly where your application hangs? Does it hang on a PacketReceive or PacketSend? Can you kill the app while the app is hung? Or it stays as a zombie (i.e. you still see the executable listed in the processes tab of task manager?). Debugging such issues is not straightforward, sometimes involving a bit of kernel debugging and two machines...

First I suggest you to migrate to WinPcap 4.0 (at least for testing). Moreover, it would be useful if you can create a small application that shows the issue, and send it to winpcap-bugs.