[Winpcap-users] 1Gbit/s point-to-point Ethernet

thorin at jinr.ru thorin at jinr.ru
Thu Feb 22 11:36:22 GMT 2007

Hello there,

It’s my first experience with WinPCap. I’m working with some data
acquisition tool now. It means that I need a high speed connection
in one direction (from DAQ board to my PC) at least 100MB/sec to
receive data. Point-to-point interface, that using only Ethernet
frames data (without TCP/IP etc).

With using WinPCap (WinXP) examples and two PC’s with 1Gbit network
cards I tried to emulate this process. So I modify “sendpack” to send
several Ethernet frames of 9 Kbytes long (D-Link 530T driver allow this)
from one PC to another. The second PC is used to receive data (as I need).
So, all looks fine, I successfully send and receive 9K frames, but I reach
only 43-46 MB/s instead of expected 1Gbit-s (?!!).

Now I am working without data dumping. I only got statistics at this
moment. In the further I should only receive data from DAQ board and
write it to RAM.

May be I should set my network adapter in half-duplex. Does WinPCap to
provide this mode?
Could I reach 1Gbit/s using Ethernet frames with WinPCap in principle?

Thanks
Ilya