[Winpcap-users] 1Gbit/s point-to-point Ethernet

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Feb 28 02:39:40 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <thorin at jinr.ru>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:36 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] 1Gbit/s point-to-point Ethernet

> Hello there,
>
> It’s my first experience with WinPCap. I’m working with some data
> acquisition tool now. It means that I need a high speed connection
> in one direction (from DAQ board to my PC) at least 100MB/sec to
> receive data. Point-to-point interface, that using only Ethernet
> frames data (without TCP/IP etc).
>
> With using WinPCap (WinXP) examples and two PC’s with 1Gbit network
> cards I tried to emulate this process. So I modify “sendpack” to send
> several Ethernet frames of 9 Kbytes long (D-Link 530T driver allow this)
> from one PC to another. The second PC is used to receive data (as I need).
> So, all looks fine, I successfully send and receive 9K frames, but I reach
> only 43-46 MB/s instead of expected 1Gbit-s (?!!).

so 43-46 instead of the expected 120 or so MBps?

> Now I am working without data dumping. I only got statistics at this
> moment. In the further I should only receive data from DAQ board and
> write it to RAM.
>
> May be I should set my network adapter in half-duplex. Does WinPCap to
> provide this mode?

This is not a WinPcap setting, but rather a setting of your network card.
You should look at the properties of your network card and see if you can
change it.

> Could I reach 1Gbit/s using Ethernet frames with WinPCap in principle?

It depends on a number of factors. First of all, consider that WinPcap has
been highly optimized for capture, and not transmission. Second,
transmission at those speeds depends a lot on the specific network card and
related drivers in use. The difference between a 50$ card and a 300$
sometimes is that one. Another thing on top of my head is the bus used by
the card. Is it plain PCI, PCI-X or PCI-express? Have you achieved higher
speeds with that network card and the normal tcp/ip applications?

Hope it helps
GV