[Winpcap-users] Sniff TCP packets, manipulate their data and send them to another PC

ceo at triplebit.com ceo at triplebit.com
Thu Jun 14 08:13:24 GMT 2007

>> Hi all,
>> I'd like to sniff the interface card, save some tcp packets, manipulate
>> their data and send the data in a second connection that I opened to a
>> second PC.
>> Is that possible with Winpcap?
>
> It's certainly feasible to do that. But it's not that easy. Are you trying
> to build some sort of transparent proxy?
> Who creates the second TCP connection?

I'm quite new to WinPcap and to networking in general, so I hope I'll be
able to answer aprorpriatly...
I don't know what's a 'transparent proxy" but I'll try to describe more
details.
I transmit video from a Windows Media Server to some nodes,each running
Windows Media Player. Since the throughput from the original server is poor
I want to run also this "proxy" in every node, that would reflect the video
to other nodes running Windows Media Player, thus enabling me to transmit to
more nodes.
To your specifical question,
the other nodes will create the TCP connection to the nodes that run this
"proxy".

>> If positive , is there some example of code that is close to what I need?
>
> The WinPcap developer's pack contains a sample that shows how to bridge
> packets between two network interfaces. There's nothing more than that.

Can you indicate please the name of the sample?

>> Is there some tool that already does that?
>
> It depends on what you are trying to do exactly. Who creates and
> terminates the TCP connections? Are you trying to mirror some traffic?

I hope that the previous calarifications refer to that also.

Thanks in advance

I. lesher