[Winpcap-users] Re: working on the same PC withthenetworkinterface card

David Chang dchang at fsautomation.com
Fri Jun 15 17:12:28 GMT 2007

Someone wrote this last year about reading packets on the same machine.  I
don't know whether it really works or not though???

--------------- BEGIN ---------------
I managed to find a way for Winpcap to capture trafic from local ip address
to local ip address.Normaly Windows routes this trafic to the loopback
interface so Winpcap can't capture it.A workaround for this problem is to
enter these commands from a command prompt.

route add 192.168.0.1 192.168.0.1
arp -s 192.168.0.1 AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF

where 192.168.0.1 is your local ip address and AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF is the mac
address of the local ethernet adapter bound to this ip address

The link must be up.

DC