[Winpcap-users] Using winpcap on a VPN

Gaming Mouse gaming_mouse at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 14:53:45 GMT 2007

> If you are using the vanilla VPN stuff from microsoft, it's most
> probably PPTP. In that case WinPcap should work without any problem.
>
> Before the connection is established, at all times, you can see a fake
> adapter called "generic dialup adapter". You can use that adapter to
> capture all the management frames used to establish the connection.
> After the connection is established, a new adapter appears, as well,
> usually called PPP/SLIP connection or similar. You can basically
> capture the same identical packets on the two adapters. All the frames
> will be encapsulated into a (fake) ethernet packet. The first thing i
> would try to do to check that everything works is trying windump (or
> wireshark) and see if wireshark captures on those adapters. If it
> works, I kinda have a suspect as to the source of the issue with jpcap
> (and it's related to COM). Which OS are you using?
>
> Have a nice day
> GV

Gianluca,

Again, thanks very much for your help.  I installed wireshark and was
able to capture packets both on my wirless card (without the VPN), and
using the WAN (PPP/SLIP) adapter after my VPN was connected.  In both
cases, however, it was raw packet information, rather than the plaintext
html (or other plaintext traffic) that I am able to output with my
sample program.  However, I assume this is just default behavior and is
to be expected.

To answer your other question, I am using WinXP Pro, though I've also
tested on  WinXP Home and had the same issue.

What exactly is the problem with jpcap?  Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks again,
gm