[Winpcap-users] WinPcap 4 & Cisco Spanned Ports

Keith French keithfrench at btconnect.com
Fri May 11 13:24:36 GMT 2007

I am using Tshark supplied with Wireshark V0.10.5 and trying to use a capture filter when a monitoring a Cisco Catalyst 2950 span port.

It is a Cisco Catalyst 2950EI running IOS version 12.1(20EA2)

I am trying to span a trunk port and look at 802.1Q VLAN headers, but if I specify a valid capture filter of host 10.10.10.10 no packets are captured. I have found it only affects Tshark when the encapsulation dot1q is added to the destination interface of a monitor session. The problem would seem to be with WinPcap (tried versions 3.1 and 4.0) as Netasyst is fine.

Let me explain in more detail:-

Interface fa0/24 on the Catalyst 2950EI is a 802.1Q trunk to another 2950EI and interface fa0/4 is where the TShark PC is connected to. Using this span session:-.

monitor session 1 source interface fa0/24

monitor session 1 destination interface fa0/4

This works OK with:-

tshark -i 3

or

tshark -i 3 -f "host 10.10.10.10"

If the monitor session is changed to include the encapsulation of dot1q:-

monitor session 1 source interface fa0/24

monitor session 1 destination interface fa0/4 encapsulation dot1q

This works OK with:-

tshark -i 3

but no packets are captured with:-

tshark -i 3 -f "host 10.10.10.10"

With Netasyst using the same IP address as a capture filter e.g. to include IP 10.10.10.10 to any

It captures fine with or without the encapsulation dot1q

Any Ideas?

Keith French.