[Winpcap-users] pcap_lookupdev

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Fri May 11 17:30:42 GMT 2007

pcap_lookupdev
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Goran Štrok
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:51 PM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] pcap_lookupdev

  I have one problem. In my computer (win 2000 NT) function pcap_lookupdev() works fine. It returns device name like this: \ . On the other computer (win ?) it does not work good. Function return error. In the other computer is istaled winpcap 3.1 and ethereal but in mine winpcap 4 and wireshark. Is possible of difference on working function pcap_lookupdev in winpcap version 3.1 and 4?

There are no differences in the API behavior, *but* WinPcap 3.1 was affected by several bugs related to improper device listing.

   And my second question is, why this function returns \?

Because pcap_lookupdev returns the adapter names in UNICODE, not in ASCII (on NT platforms). In any case, pcap_lookupdev() is obsolete, please use pcap_findalldevs() to retrieve a list of available adapters.

  Why it does not return the name of internet device???
  Thanks for help.