[Winpcap-users] Modifying WinPcap to handle USB

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 7 16:46:49 GMT 2007

Varuna De Silva wrote:

> In order to do this (As I understand ) We have to by pass the network
> device
> interface system provided by WinPcap architecture.
>
> ( At the moment we have a custom driver, which does the usb communication
> and we need not worry about it. They have given an API to get the
> packets (raw data)
> on a block basis. ) What we want is to convert these packets to a pcap
> format with
> a DLT header. ...And we want to do it on windows.
>
> Are we able to do this?

Yes, but it doesn't constitute modifying WinPcap to handle USB, it
constitutes modifying it to handle your device.  "Modifying
libpcap/WinPcap to handle USB" means modifying it to capture raw USB
traffic for the purposes of analyzing that traffic (which has already
been done for Linux).

> Guide us to a good starting point for this..Please!

Unfortunately, there isn't one.  See my mail message to the
tcpdump-workers mailing list, in response to an earlier mail of yours to
that list, on how to add support for additional devices in libpcap/WinPcap.