[Winpcap-users] How to get the timestamp

Varuna De Silva varunax at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 08:30:59 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am reading packets from a different interface to that of the Network
interface of Winpcap.
I use a USB interface. So to get the packets I read to a pcap format, I have
to fill in a pcap_t
structure. For this, Since I need to give the time stamp, in the
pcap_timeval in the pcap_pkthdr,
I want to get the time stamp.

gettimeofday() dont work in windows, GetSystemTime() has only accuracy in ms
which is not
adequate to me.

Can anyone please give me a clue to overcome this, May be I can use the
Winpcap way of
getting the timestamp (possibly from the system) but I do not have any Idea
of how it gets
it kindly guide me to this.

Can I use a simple counter instead of the real time stamp? Is this
advisable? Since I am not
really interested in knowing the exact time the packets arrived.

Regards

Xavier