[Winpcap-users] how to de-register handler

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Apr 8 17:28:12 GMT 2008

The packet is not actually registered inside the library. When you call pcap_loop (or pcap_dispatch), pcap_loop blocks and internally uses the packet handler you provided to hand off packets to your application. As soon as pcap_loop/pcap_dispatch returns (for a reason or another), the packet handler that you provided is no longer used by the WinPcap library (it's NOT stored internally).

My humble suggestion is to use pcap_next_ex instead of pcap_loop/dispatch. It provides the same functionality, but it's IMHO much easier to understand and use.