[Winpcap-users] Can a system have two different versions of wpcapat the same time ?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu Aug 7 22:18:15 GMT 2008

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vasanthi Ramasamy
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:02 PM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] Can a system have two different versions of wpcapat the same time ?

  Hi,

    1.. We are trying to build a winpcap based application and we wish to use one version of wpcap just for our application without modifying anything related to the existing wpcap in the system. For example, if a system has wpcap older version, can I copy the latest wpcap.dll, packet.dll and npf.sys into the local folder of my application and use them instead of the older version existing in the system? If possible, how can I do it?

No, WinPcap does not support side-by-side execution. In order to do that, you would need to rename some components and device names in order to prevent different versions of  WinPcap from using the same names.

  Thanks,

  Vasanthi