[Winpcap-users] can not get any captured package when

Lin George george4academic at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 02:02:28 GMT 2008

Thanks Bryan,
1.
I am interested in your reply regarding to proxy and transparent proxy. In my understanding if we do not need to set explicitly in IE or Windows Registry the proxy address and port, the proxy will be used transparently and in this situation the proxy is called transparent proxy. Or else, it is called non-transparent proxy. Is my understanding correct? What is the correct understanding of whether a proxy is transparent or not?
2.
For gateway, I think there is also transparent and non-transparent, from "end user" (not network admin) point of view, how do we know whether of the 4 following situations are used?
- transparent proxy;
- transparent gateway;
- non-transparent proxy;
- non-transparent gateway.

3.
Is it correct understanding that all transparent proxy will do DNS resolution and non-transparent proxy will not do DNS resolution?
regards,
George