[Winpcap-users] What would be needed to provide 64-bit dll's

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Jan 21 19:07:28 GMT 2008

Camiel,

sorry for taking so long in answering.

Basically two components needs to be ported, packet.dll and wpcap.dll.

For the former, the code should compile pretty easily for the x64 compiler,
but you need to either create makefiles for the PSDK command line x64 build
environment or for VS2005/VS2008 (actually migrating to VS2005 is in my
plans pretty soon. I'd like to get rid of VS6 from my machine...). And then
understand which build flavor can be compiled: packet.dll has many features
that get enabled/disabled depending on where packet.dll runs on. On a x64
machine, if it's XP64/2003 you prolly enable HAVE_IPHELPER_API and
HAVE_WANPACKET_SUPPORT (i don't remember the exact name of the defines). On
vista, only the iphelper api.
If you support WANPACKET, you also need to recompile wanpacket.dll for x64.

For the latter (wpcap.dll) things can get a lil trickier (I haven't tried
myself yet). Apart from the new makefile/project files (and wpcap.dll is a
bit complicated as it's build as a static lib, libpcap.lib linked then by
wpcap.dll), you need to be very careful with the defines for the size of
types and such (the project includes several defines in the form
SIZEOF_LONG=4 and similar). It's in practice a "make it compile and test it
a lot".

In the end, my best suggestion is
1. try to compile packet.dll and make it work with the samples based on
packet.dll (wpdpack\examples-remote\PacketDriver).
2. move to wpcap.dll and test it with all the samples in the wpdpack.
3. use the sources for winpcap 4.1beta2. Do not use any other sources as a
reference. The reason is that the 4.1beta2 sources have been cleaned up a
lot, so porting could be a lil easier
4. post any problem you encounter on the mailing list (or to winpcap-team).

Hope it helps