[Winpcap-users] Ping works only when ethereal is ON

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Jul 7 15:55:15 GMT 2008

My bet is that your miniport is not managing OID_GEN_CURRENT_PACKET_FILTER
correctly. When you start ethereal or any other winpcap based application
and you use it in promiscuous mode, the WinPcap protocol driver sets the
PACKET_FILTER to NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS. Otherwise it uses
NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_ALL_LOCAL.

Do all the ICMP echo requests get "discarded" by the TCP/IP stack when
ethereal is off, or just some of them?