[Winpcap-users] only when ethereal is ON

Umesh Chandra Sahoo USahoo at ixiacom.com
Tue Jul 8 14:26:49 GMT 2008

Hi Gianluca

I tried some experiment to validate your told things.

In my module I inserted below lines for testing.

unsigned char *packet_data[4];
int ctr = 0;
while(((res = pcap_next_ex( fp, &header, &packet_data[ctr])) >= 0) &
(ctr < 4)){
	printf("\n\n @#@#@#@# [%d].Umesh DBG pkt_data_addr[%u] ,
pkt_data_value[%c] \n", ctr, packet_data[0],
		 packet_data[0][0]);
	ctr++;
}
pcap_close(fp);
printf("\n\n AFTER PCAP CLOSE.Umesh DBG pkt_data_addr[%u],
pkt_data_value[%c] \n",
	   packet_data[0], packet_data[0][0]);

-->In the while loop I called pcap_next_ex() 4 times. So my expectation
is:- packet_data[0] will show different value once since the previous
memory for packet_data[0] was freed while calling the wile loop for
second time.

--> but I am getting the same address value.
--> If that memory freed and also by chance it shows the same memory
allocated then the value of the packet_data (i.e. packet_data[0][0])
should have some unpredictable value.
--> But I got the same value for packet_data(i.e packet_data[0][0])

--> But the print after the pcap_close(fp) shows some unpredictable
value for packet_data(i.e packet_data[0][0]).

So I got confirmation upon your second point.

Dear can you give me any example which can proof your 1st time.
I am asking for the proof since I need to convince all my management
group.

Waitin 4 ur reply
Umesh