[Winpcap-users] only when ethereal is ON

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jul 8 16:46:23 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 09:12:26AM -0700, Gianluca Varenni wrote:
> >Can you tell me who releases that pointer?
> >Is that the programmer's responsibility or is that released by the
> >winpcap library itself?
> >

> It's released by the library.

...But it's *not* released immediately.  It can be released at any time
(it will probably happen when you call pcap_close, but that's not part
of the API contract either).

The same buffer can be reused and returned later; that's why you keep
getting the same pointer value, and it's also why the buffer is only
valid until the next call to pcap_next_ex (according to the docs).