[Winpcap-users] winpcap3 and winpcap4 bridge

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Jun 10 18:38:05 GMT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "izua richard" <izua.richard at gmail.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 8:46 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] winpcap3 and winpcap4 bridge

> Hey!
> First of all, please don't bash if I make any mistakes, since I'm new with
> the mailing list concept. If there is such a thing as a web interface, I'd
> gladly use that. But for now, I'll just keep waiting for my email client
> to yell.
>
> Anyway. My problem is as follows: I use ISIS VSM simulator, which in turn
> uses winPcap. I develop Ethernet applications for microcontrollers. This
> simulator can directly inject packets into my networks using winPcap, but
> it uses version 4.
>
> I need to craft this packets somehow. Of course, I could always do it by
> hand, but I might make a mistake, and I'll have to compute three bloody
> checksums for a single UDP frame (ethernet, ip headers, udp checksum). I
> have a program to do this, nemesis. It's a nice thing this can also inject
> the packet into my network, so I can see how everything should react when
> the simulator would send it. However, nemesis doesn't work with winPcap4,
> it needs winPcap3. It's really awkward to keep doing
> uninstall4/install3/uninstall3/install4.
>
> Is there some kind of bridge or compatibility layer between the two? If I
> use ISIS with 3, it crashes. If I uses nemesis with 4, I get an error for
> missing entry point in packet.dll.

WinPcap 3.x and 4.x should be completely compatible *if* they use the
documented APIs i.e. the API exported by wpcap.dll. I suppose that nemesis
uses the undocumented packet.dll API and that API can change over time. What
is the missing entrypoint in packet.dll? Have you tried contacting the
authors of nemesis?