[Winpcap-users] Determining packet size in bytes from live capture.

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Jun 10 18:46:36 GMT 2008

If you use the statistical mode, whenever you call pcap_next_ex or similar you get the number of packets and the number of bytes transferred from the last call of pcap_next_ex. If you want the total amount of bytes/packets, just keep a local counter of the bytes/packets, and increment it of the number of packets/bytes received with pcap_next_ex

Moreover, if you are working in statistics mode, you don't get the packet size. You get statistics. If you want to know the size of each received packets, you need to go with the normal capture mode and compute the statistics on your own.

Have you looked at the sample called "tcptop" in the WinPcap developer's pack?