[Winpcap-users] winpcap and McAfee

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jun 13 16:42:34 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:08:22PM -0400, Victor Ginzburg wrote:
> Has anyone experienced problems with running winpcap on systems with
> McAfee antivirus installed, specifically blue screens?

None that looked like they were attributable to WinPcap or McAfee.  Of
course that isn't foolproof (it's easy for a buffer overflow to mess up
a totally different driver in kernel mode), but the few blue-screens we
have seen were limited to machines that had an older driver installed to
handle hardware from National Instruments.  (Of course the crash only
happened when a user logged off without manually shutting down the
program that had a connection to the driver open, so the "clean" close
couldn't happen.  I suspect the driver wasn't properly handling the
events that signal a surprise close.)

I've also seen WinPcap blue-screens on a *really* old driver version
(3.1? maybe even 3.0) when a user program makes a DeviceIoControl
request after the wireless card is disabled.  This has nothing to do
with McAfee, though, and 4.x fixes that issue as well.

Of course, we're using McAfee 8.5, centrally-managed.  The home user
version, or other newer product versions, might have all kinds of extra
junk turned on that may also be interfering, I don't know...