[Winpcap-users] Remove GenericDialupAdapter from Win XP?

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 9 02:29:53 GMT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Eric Kollmann wrote:

> I check to see if their is an IP address on the adapter, if the
> adapter does not have an IP address I do not list it in my program.
> This works well for me in most instances, but has also caused issues
> in some others (such as machines with 2 NICs, and only one is plugged
> in, or with wireless adapters that are not authenticated yet).

The "all" in "pcap_findalldevs" is there for a reason; the job of
pcap_findalldevs() is to find *all* of the devices that could be
opened with pcap_open_live().  As different applications might have
different requirements, it's not the job of pcap_findalldevs() to
filter the list of devices for the convenience of particular
applications, so it'll continue to list the GenericDialupAdapter on
Windows, just as it continues to list the "any" adapter on Linux, etc..

The application writer has to determine what the criterion is for
determining what adapters should be shown.  There's no guarantee that
the real criterion corresponds to, for example, "the adapter has an IP
address".  What are the real criteria that the programs being
discussed here have?