[Winpcap-users] Query Regarding WinPcap 4.0.2.

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Nov 11 15:41:09 GMT 2008

First of all, a bit of clarification on how the "system32" folder works on 64bit systems.

Physically, on a 64bit system, the core dlls are stored into two folders:
- c:\windows\system32 contains the 64bit version of the core DLLs.
- c:\windows\sysWOW64 contains the 32bit version of the same core DLLs.

The drivers always reside under c:\windows\system32\drivers, because on a 64bit machine all the kernel mode drivers should be 64bit.

When a 32bit application runs on a 64bit system, the OS uses a file system redirector, so that all the requests (done by the 32bit application) to a file in c:\windows\system32 get redirected to c:\windows\sysWOW64

Going back to WinPcap (4.0.2), on a 64 bit system npf.sys resides in c:\windows\system32\drivers (because it's a 64bit driver) and all the user mode DLLs reside in c:\windows\sysWOW64 (since they are 32bit DLLs).

I don't know exactly why you want to move wpcap.dll to another folder, but it should definitely work with these caveats:
- you CANNOT copy wpcap.dll into c:\windows\system32, where the 64bit OS DLLs are located. Your application will never be able to access that folder because it's hidden by the FS redirector (this is not 100% true, as there is a way to disable the FS redirector)
- if you try to load wpcap.dll located in c:\windows\sysWOW64 (i.e. the default install location), you need to do LoadLibrary("C:\\windows\\system32\\wpcap.dll", 0).

Regarding npf.sys, that file should always reside in c:\windows\system32\drivers

Regarding a silent version of the installer, for a number of reasons this option is not available.