[Winpcap-users] Query Regarding WinPcap 4.0.2.

naveen kumar naveen20_r at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 11 14:45:07 GMT 2008

Hi All,

I have a query regarding the winpcap 4.0.2. my application is using for pocket capturing using winpcap and nps.sys driver. Previously I was using the winpcap 3.0.0.18 in my application it was working fine for me for both windows 2000 and windows 2003 32 bit OS.

I want to support my application on windows server 2003 64 bit OS and windows vista , so i used the winpcap latest version 4.0.2 with my application.

My application dll uses the load library windows api to load the wpcap.dll. If i copy this wpcap.dll to the sysWOW64 directory my dll will perfectly load the wpcap.dll and it will also load the npf.sys from system32\drivers directory and rest of the things work fine. but my application dll is failing to load the 4.0.2 wpcap.dll, if i copy the dll to directory other than system32 in the 64 bit OS of windows server 2003, even though i am giving the absolute path of the location to load wpcap.dll in loadlibrary API.

if i use the wpcap.dll of version 3.0.0.18 in location other than sysWOW64 my Application dll loads the wpcap.dll, but it fails to load the npf.sys driver from the same location where dll is present.

My query is wheather the latest wpcap.dll and npf.sys should always available in the sysWOW64 and system32\drivers directory for the 64 bit windows 2003?

One more Query
is it possible to run the Winpcap installation as a silent installation?

If you have any concerns please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Naveen