[Winpcap-users] Why does WinPCap misses the netmonitor under Vista?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Oct 13 23:25:01 GMT 2008

NetMon 3.x is not compatible with NetMon 2.x and NPPtools which were shipped
with 2000/XP/2003.
The only way to use NetMon 3.x within WinPcap would be to integrate WinPcap
with the new NetMon 3.x APIs. And I'm scared of working with NetMon again:
2.x was at best poorly documented and extremely buggy. I have no idea if the
new one is any better. Also, you would need to install NetMon 3.x on the
machine in order to use it. NetMon 3.x is not inbox on Vista (like it was
for 2000/XP).