[Winpcap-users] Packet lost

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Apr 27 16:15:08 PDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alessandro Capucci
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 2:57 AM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] Packet lost

  Hello,
  I'm doing some other test with NPF driver (I'm using driver directly without WinPCap layer).
  I'm generating traffic with PktGen on a Debian machine with 10GBit fiber card (Intel PRO/10Gbe SR Server Adapter). I'm generating 4.000.000 packets between 124 and 9014 byte. Max bandwitdh used is about 3GBit.
  On another PC I'm listening with NPF driver and a very easy application that show statistics.
  On this second machine i recive only 99.70% of packets (3.987.808 pkts) but  "stat.bs_drop" are 0. Wher's this 12.192 pkts??? I think that this pkts arent arrived at the NDIS driver but why ??? Hardware / SO latency ? ther's a way to know how many pakets are really received from the hardware ??? Or dropped by SO ?

  They are dropped by the hardware or by the NIC driver. There are a number of OIDs that you can query to get some statistics, I would try and see what happens.
  Some of them are

OID_GEN_RCV_ERROR
OID_GEN_RCV_NO_BUFFER
OID_GEN_RCK_OK

  My current device is on a  PCI-X bus, next week I hope to test a PCI-Express version. Do you think that can improve this performance ?

I don't know.

  NPF driver is a NDIS 5 version. Do you think that realize a NDIS 6 drive can improve this performance ?

Are you working on Vista/2008? In that case it might help, but I don't know to what extent.

  Tnks
  Alessandro