[Winpcap-users] What does WinPcap do when setting a 802.11 wireless NIC into promiscuous mode?

yu-ruei woo haich.woo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 23:10:35 PDT 2009

Hi,
After tracing the source code, I found that in PacketSetHwFilter, you set
the packet filter NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS is true. Otherwise the packet
filter is set to NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_ALL_LOCAL.

In the WDK documentation, it says:
It is only valid for the miniport driver to enable the
NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS, NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_802_11_PROMISCUOUS_MGMT, or
NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_802_11_PROMISCUOUS_CTRL packet filters if the driver is
operating in Network Monitor (NetMon) mode.

But in the source code, I can't find any request to the driver that sets its
operation mode to NetMon mode.

So I think setting promiscuous mode in WireShard will have to effect on the
NIC if the NIC driver follows the WDK documentation.

Is that right?

Best regards,
Haich