[Winpcap-users] pcap_setdirection() support in 4.0.2 and 4.1beta5

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Feb 4 18:47:57 GMT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adagio Grazioso" <adagiograzioso at gmail.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 1:51 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] pcap_setdirection() support in 4.0.2 and 4.1beta5

> Hi,
>
> Does 4.0.2 or 4.1beta5 support pcap_setdirection()?

Both of the releases do not support such function.

> The 4.1beta5 changelog mentions that this WinPcap release is
> compatible with libpcap 1.0.0 (which does support
> pcap_setdirection()). Also the pcap.h included in the release has
> pcap_setdirection(), but the wpcap.lib doesn't seem to include it.

It's a mistake on my side. I forgot to export such function in the 4.1beta5
build.

> My understanding about pcap_setdirection() support on WinPcap is that
> it is not possible to support the functionality on Windows due to NDIS
> not supplying that information, but the compilation would be
> successful and during run time the API would return an error.

Exactly. Even if exported, that function would fail because it's not
possible at the moment to set the capture direction because NDIS is not
supplying such information.

> However, with both 4.0.2 and 4.1beta5 my compilation fails - or rather
> linking fails with an "undefined symbol" for pcap_setdirection()
>
> Any pointers on what I could be doing wrong?

It's a bug in WinPcap. I've already committed a fix in our source tree, it
will appear in the next release of WinPcap.

> Regards,
> Adagio
>
> PS - Does the NDIS limitation also apply to the latest NDIS 6 included
> with Vista?

Good question, I don't know exactly. Please consider that even if such
information was available with NDIS6 in Vista/2008..., our kernel driver is
still an NDIS5.x one (even on vista), so that information would not be
available (unless we rewrite the kernel driver to be an NDIS6 one).