[Winpcap-users] capture fails on vista

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu Jan 29 04:09:27 GMT 2009

Tom Brown wrote:
> This clears things up for me. I did some digging on my machine and
> found that the NPF service IS running.

Well, it's not a service, really.  It's a driver, it just uses the same
service interfaces as real services (unsure why MS did this...).  It
doesn't show up in the services MMC because that MMC filters out all
drivers.  It doesn't show up in task manager because it isn't a process
(no executable).  And I'm not sure why it doesn't show up in 'net
start', but I suspect that does the same filtering as the services MMC.

What does work is to dig through the registry, otherwise running:

sc query

should show it as well (sc is not supposed to filter by default, though
you can tell it to).

To set it to start at boot time:

sc config npf start= auto

(Note: there is also a "boot" value for start=, but that should probably
not be used.  "boot" is before "auto", and is almost as early in the
boot process as you can get.  You almost assuredly do not need it
running this early.  If you only need it after logging in, then auto
should be fine.)

There should be KB articles on the sc tool, as well (it was part of the
resource kit until XP, when it got moved into the base OS).