[Winpcap-users] Access violation when using pcap_findalldevs_ex

bsalibrici at scidyn.com bsalibrici at scidyn.com
Tue Jul 21 06:52:04 PDT 2009

  BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
	Hello Everyone,
	I am using WinXP Professional SP3 and Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0
with SP5.

	I installed Winpcap version 4.0.2.
	 I also got the WpdPack and compiled your

	basic_dump example (in ...WpdPackExamples-pcapbasic_dump). The only
thing

	I had to add to the visual c++ project was the IPHlpApi.Lib
(6/16/1999 12:44 PM).

	When I try to execute the app out of the debugger, it crashes

	at the call to pcap_findalldevs. I verified that the npf driver was
running

	before I ran the app - and it was. Here is the error:
	                Unhandled exception in basic_dump.exe (NDISNPP.DLL):
0xC0000005: Access Violation.
	                Call Stack: NDISNPP! 5a704d91()
	I searched your FAQs and your winpcap-users mailing list archives
for this

	or similar problem. The only thing I found was a post back in August
2008

	where В. Rasta posted a similar problem. However, I didn't see a
response

	or a resolution??
	Interestingly enough, I downloaded windump 3.9.5 and ran it with the
-D option.

	It listed all my adapters ok, and I selected an adapter with the -i
option and it

	captured packets ok. Here are the results I got for the -h option:
	                windump version 3.9.5, based on tcpdump version
3.9.5
	                WinPcap version 4.0.2 (packet.dll version
4.0.0.1040), based on libpcap version 0.9.5
	Here is some info for the NDISNPP.DLL I'm using:
	File Version: 5.1.2600.5512
	File Date: 4/13/08 8:12 PM
	File Size: 57,344 bytes
	File Location: C:WINDOWSsystem32npp
	Attached is a screen shot of the debugger display for the crash.
	Any ideas as to what the problem is here with the basic_dump
example?

	Perhaps I'm overlooking something simple.

	Thanks in advance for any help.
	Regards,
	    --Bill Salibrici