[Winpcap-users] Windows Vista NPF Driver Issue

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Jul 21 08:33:37 PDT 2009

I think it's simply a problem with UAC, it has nothing to do with WinPcap per se.

In practice the driver needs to be started with admin - elevated privileges, for example running your program by right-clicking on it and choosing "run as administrator". What Wireshark does is changing a registry key so that the NPF driver gets loaded automatically upon boot. This same option will be available in the next version of the WinPcap installer (and it will be enabled by default).