[Winpcap-users] What does WinPcap do when setting a 802.11wireless NIC into promiscuous mode?

yu-ruei woo haich.woo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 01:21:46 PDT 2009

Hi,
I've checked that OID_GEN_CURRENT_PACKET_FILTER is supported in NDIS5
and NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS an available filter. So it should be OK to
let WinPcap put my WLAN NIC in promiscuous mode on Windows XP.

But when I configure the WLAN NIC into promiscuous mode (using WireShark)
and press start, a dialog pops up with error message: The capture session
could not be initiated (failed to set hardware filter to promiscuous mode).

Would you give me a suggestion?

Thanks.
Haich