[Winpcap-users] What does WinPcap do when setting a802.11wireless NIC into promiscuous mode?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Sep 15 14:35:02 PDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: yu-ruei woo
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 1:21 AM
  Subject: Re: [Winpcap-users] What does WinPcap do when setting a802.11wireless NIC into promiscuous mode?

  Hi,

  I've checked that OID_GEN_CURRENT_PACKET_FILTER is supported in NDIS5 and NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS an available filter. So it should be OK to let WinPcap put my WLAN NIC in promiscuous mode on Windows XP.
  But when I configure the WLAN NIC into promiscuous mode (using WireShark) and press start, a dialog pops up with error message: The capture session could not be initiated (failed to set hardware filter to promiscuous mode).
This is because WinPcap tries to set the current packet filter to NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS, but the underlying miniport controlling your wireless card fails the request. There is nothing that WinPcap can do for that.

Does it make any sense to you?

  Would you give me a suggestion?

  Thanks.
  Haich