[Winpcap-users] support for cygwin on x64 with vista

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Aug 23 16:34:04 PDT 2010

From: "Roshni Zawar" <roshnizawar at gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:44 PM
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Subject: [Winpcap-users] support for cygwin on x64 with vista

> Do you know if the current release has support for cygwin on x64 with
> vista? I saw following statement in the change log  for Version 4.1
> beta5, 08 jan 09
> http://www.winpcap.org/misc/changelog.htm
>
> "The developer's pack includes LIB files for both x86 and x64 (for
> Visual Studio). At the moment we don't have the LIB files for Cygwin
> under x64."
>
> Is this still a limitation? I noticed following two problems:

The problem is not WinPcap. The problem is that, as far as I know, cygwin is
32bit only. There is no 64bit port of it.

http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.what.supported

"As far as we know no one is working on a native 64 bit version of Cygwin"

> 1) When I installed
> http://www.winpcap.org/install/bin/WinPcap_4_1_2.exe it installs into
> "Program Files (x86)" folder-- why is this not detecting that system
> is x64?

The installer binary is 32bit, so it installs the uninstaller in program
files (x86). But it does install both 32 and 64 bit components on a 64bit
OS.

> 2) After I install wpdpack as requirement for tcpreplay under cygwin
> root dir, I cannot successfully run tcpreplay. It throws an error that
> pcap file does not exist. The same sequence of installation
> instructions works fine on a 32 bit machine.

Have you asked the tcpreplay maintainers about that? WinPcap runs smoothly
on a 64bit OS, but with in native 64bit mode and in 32bit compatibility mode
(WoW64).