[Winpcap-users] Debugging a winpcap exception

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Jan 6 12:40:39 PST 2010

From: "Chris Morgan" <chmorgan at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:24 PM
To: "Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com>
Cc: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Subject: Re: [Winpcap-users] Debugging a winpcap exception

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Gianluca Varenni
> <gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com> wrote:

The truth is that there are very few people recompiling winpcap (I think
I've received less than 5 emails in 2009 regarding the winpcap compilation)
so providing a better documentation on how to compile the WinPcap DLLs is
very low priority.

>>> I'm building the 'Debug No Netmon' target for the packet solution. The
>>> 'Debug' target says npptools.lib can't be found.
>>>

>> This is not normal. Are you using Visual Studio 2005 SP1 to build?
>>

> I'm running vs2008 sp1 here.

The compilation of WinPcap should be done with VS2005 SP1. The samples do
compile with VS2008, but the source code of WinPcap itself has only been
tested with VS2005SP1.