[Winpcap-users] How to tell if memory is being freed properly?

Angelina Viola angelina.viola at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:50:53 PST 2010

Hello all, I am using WinPcap to test out some raw packet injection for a
project that uses a custom protocol. I started from the code here:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/UDPandWPCAP.aspx

However, I am currently searching for memory leaks and I noticed that when I
looked at my app in task manager it was increasing its memory usage like
crazy. I wanted to see what was causing the memory usage, and my first
notion was that packets weren't getting freed somewhere. So I swapped out my
packet_handler() function for the example one which comes in basic_dump.c,
and switched my libraries to 4.1.1.

It still seems that memory just keeps going up and up. I know that I'm not
supposed to free the pkt_data pointer myself, so is there some config I
should know about or something so that WinPcap doesn't just keep increasing
in size? (Also, FYI, I have my filter set to only allow my specific packet
types, and I am using wireshark to watch along that there are only my
packets coming in for that filter setting).

Cheers
Angie V.