[Winpcap-users] Alternative to WinPCap that allows usage for non-Admin users?

Greg Hauptmann greg.hauptmann.ruby at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 20:08:52 PDT 2010

Hi,

Noting the following from the FAQ: "At the moment, if you execute a
WinPcap-based application for the first time since the last reboot,
you must be administrator. At the first execution, the driver will be
dynamically installed in the system, and from that moment every user
will be able to use WinPcap to sniff the packets."

Question: Would this constraint apply to any code wanting to capture
packets?  Or is it a constraint just for the WinPCap way of packet
capture with drivers?   In other words is there another way to capture
packets that one could potentially write that could avoid the need for
the user to have access to an Admin account?  If so, what approach /
API / library would one use for this?   (in my case I'm just after
noting frame sizes for all packets of a particular type [e.g. HTTP]
going out to a specific set of IPs)

thanks