[Winpcap-users] Sniffing WiFi access points nearby

Gianluca Varenni Gianluca.Varenni at riverbed.com
Wed Feb 23 11:42:41 PST 2011

WinPcap is a software component. With WinPcap you can capture data frames in 802.11 (which are transformed into Ethernet frames with the windows networking stack and/or network card drivers), but you cannot capture data/management frames (e.g. beacons).
AirPcap is a hardware solution (a USB dongle) that allows you to capture all the 802.11 frames on a specific channel (so control, data and management frames).