[Winpcap-users] Sniffing WiFi access points nearby

gonzalo diethelm gdiethelm at dcv.cl
Thu Feb 24 06:42:29 PST 2011

> They don't access the packets themselves. They use some Microsoft wi-fi
> APIs (I don't remember the exact name of them...) that allow you see the
> BSSIDs advertised by the APs.

You may be talking about WlanGetNetworkBssList(), part of the WLAN API in Windows. This API works from Server 2008 and Vista, and PARTS of it work on XP (with a fix applied), but this particular function does not work on XP, no matter what service packs or fixes you apply.

My point is that Network Stumbler works fine on my XP SP3 laptop, displaying MAC addresses for all nearby acces points, so it must be doing things some other way. And I suspect this other way is via sniffing packets, but I have not found a way to do it yet.

--
Gonzalo Diethelm