[Winpcap-users] Is WinPcap project still alive?

Gianluca Varenni Gianluca.Varenni at riverbed.com
Wed Dec 19 17:27:49 PST 2012

Folks,

I've been wanting to write this email for a long time, but for a reason or another I've never found the time to do it.

As most of you have noticed, WinPcap has been pretty much silent for quite some time: no releases, no emails from its developers, no announcements. Nothing. And it's not rocket science that this hiatus coincided with the acquisition of CACE Technologies by Riverbed. CACE was the home for most of the core WinPcap developers (me and Loris). First of all, let me tell you that we are still alive. We have just been extremely busy in transitioning from a startup environment, CACE,  to a much bigger reality, Riverbed, where I still work. This transition has been an exciting and rewarding experience, but also limited the amount of free time devoted to side projects to pretty much zero.

Simply speaking, it's not that we didn't care about the WinPcap project. We just didn't have much time to work on it.

So the one million dollars question is now - what's the future of WinPcap? Did we give up on it?

The answer is no. We haven't given up. While honestly the team has not done much WinPcap development in the last two years, it's our intention to slowly catch up, both from the support side (I know, there are dozens of emails waiting for a reply, I apologize for having ignored them) and from the development side.

I can't say when the next release will be out, but we're hopeful that we'll get some cycles to make updates.

Have a nice day
Gianluca Varenni
WinPcap Team