[Winpcap-users] WinPcap Inclusion of LGPLv2 Pthreads-win32

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 13 22:12:20 UTC 2018

On Nov 13, 2018, at 1:32 PM, Grochowalski, Matthew (GE Aviation, US) <MatthewS.Grochowalski at ge.com> wrote:

> We've been auditing our open source usage and found that WinPcap contains Pthreads-win32, which is licensed under the LGPLv2:

Npcap, however, is based on a recent version of libpcap, which uses Windows native threads where the old WinPcap code used Pthreads-win32, and thus doesn't have this issue.

> Please add it to the license and point to the source code corresponding to pthreadVC.dll included with WinPCAP.

I'll leave it up to the maintainers of WinPcap - if there are any at this point - to handle that.

> Also, would it be possible to package rcapd separately or use one of the other pthreads libraries to keep the overall package BSD-licensed?

As noted, the current libpcap 1) includes rpcapd and 2) uses Windows threads in rpcapd.  Npcap is based on that, so....