[pcap-ng-format] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Mon Sep 28 20:23:33 UTC 2020

On Sep 28, 2020, at 12:06 PM, Michael Tuexen <tuexen at fh-muenster.de> wrote:

> Do we want to finally publish that? Up to now, I think the point was to
> find a home where it is substantially discussed and improved...

For example, unlike pcap, which is not easily changeable (you *can* change it, but that involves adding new magic numbers), pcapng can have new block types and option types.

There are extensible protocols with RFCs; that's handled with protocol registries:

	https://www.iana.org/protocols

and with new I-Ds -> RFCs for extensions.  We'd have to set up registries for block and option types if we publish an RFC for pcapng.  We would *also* want a registry for link-layer header types, for both pcap and pcapng.

See, for example, RFC 1761

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1761

which specifies the Sun snoop file format, and RFC 3827:

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3827

which sets up a registry for snoop link-layer header types:

	https://www.iana.org/assignments/snoop-datalink-types/snoop-datalink-types.xhtml#snoop-datalink-types-2

and adds some new entries to it.