[Winpcap-users] Installation Questions

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 20:45:28 GMT 2005

Hi John.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Graham" <jgraham at gci.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:20 AM
Subject: RE: [Winpcap-users] Installation Questions

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I looked at changelog.htm and figured that the installation program was
> looking for updates. NIS was probably blocking that, which is why the
> progress counter was stuck on 0%. I am surprised that NIS didn't prompt
> for permission for this access (but that's not your problem!)

Well, it's "normal" that NSIS doesn't ask before accessing the web (since it
has not been programmed to do so), but...

> However, I recommend that the installer program (if possible) ask
> whether the user wants to check for a later version. That would at least
> warn the user that the program is going to perform some web accesses and
> I have not tested the installer on a machine that was not connected to
> the internet.

...it should not hang, in any case: there is a timeout of some seconds (5)
to check on the internet. If the web request doesn't succeed within the
timeout (for example because the machine is connected to a local network),
it simply reverts to the normal "local" installation.

It seems a bug in the installer (or in NSIS). If it's ok for you, I can send
you an instrumented version of the installer, so that I can track down the
issue.